Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tutorial: Cupcake Topper by Lacey

Hello High Hopes fans!!

If you are looking for the current challenge, click here.

It's Tutorial Tuesday Time!!
This week, I (Lacey) get to share a tutorial with you.

While working on the Autumn Color Challenge, I decided I wanted to showcase some of the adorable Halloween stamps that Laurie Furnell illustrated last year.
I thought they would make a fun Halloween Themed Cupcake Toppers...
These are super easy to make.
Plus, you can probably re-use the images after the cupcakes are eaten!

For my samples, I used Standing Witchy Poo and Witchy Poo and Kitty Frame. But you can find all of the Witchy Poo Stamps here and all of the Halloween designs here...lots to choose from!

Supplies:
~ Stamped, colored, and cut out images.
~ Punched and die cut shapes (to back the image. (You will need 2 of each background shape for each topper.
~ Skewer or popsicle stick (I cut some wood skewers down to 6")
~ Dimensional foam
~ Adhesive

I apparently missed the photo of the first step! Sorry!
1. Attach your colored image to a die cut shape. For my design, I used some nestability shapes. I chose a medium size circle so that it wasn't too large or heavy for the cupcake to hold up.
2. Apply Foam dimensionals to the back of the diecut shape. I placed one at the top to ensure that it will stop the image from sliding down on the stick. I also applied some adhesive to make sure the image didn't stays put and doesn't fall off the stick.

3. Attach the stick to the adhesive making sure it is centered behind the design.

4. Use the other diecut shape to sandwich around the stick. This will hide the stick and allow you to decorate the back of the design as well.

5. To decorate the back of the design, I used Happy Halloween Sentiment Top/Bottom along with a few punched layers. But you can decorate the back any way you want.

6. Repeat the process for all of your toppers.

7. Place the toppers into the cupcakes and serve!!

Of course, these toppers work for any type of cupcake party
(Birthday, Graduation, Holidays, etc...).
Whatever the party, I'm sure High Hopes has the stamps for the theme you are looking for!!
Go check them out at www.highhopesstamps.com!

4 comments:

Carissa said...

So cute. Maybe I can make some of these for my nephew's birthday.

Kristine Reynolds said...

Very cute idea Lacey!

Chrissy said...

They are gorgeous Lacey...I can see a whole platter of these at a birthday/halloween party, great job, love them.

Unknown said...

omg - this is crazy cute! LOVE it!
Sarah